In this post, nosotros shall encounter how to resolve the WordPress Error: “The Site Is Experiencing Technical Difficulties”. This sort of fault is likewise called the “White Screen of Death” inwards WordPress, similar to the “Blue Screen of Death” inwards Windows.
The symptoms inwards my example are:
- Site throws the higher upward fault at starting fourth dimension precisely opens fine later a refresh
- Admin page is accessible the same means later refreshing
- Able to login to the website
- Clearing the browser history, too accessing the site again, throws the same error.
The fault is to a greater extent than oft than non due to incompatible themes, plugins etc. And at that spot may live on unlike ways to prepare the problem:
1) Rollback to a previously working nation from a backup (if backup is available)
2) Find the displace of the effect from website fault log too prepare the effect (quicker)
3) Manually disable existing topic too check
4) Manually disable plugins ane yesteryear ane too check
We shall encounter the higher upward options inwards brief ane yesteryear ane below.
1) ROLLBACK TO A PREVIOUSLY WORKING STATE FROM A BACKUP (IF BACKUP IS AVAILABLE)
If you lot convey a backup, you lot certain tin forcefulness out rollback to previous working state. But this is non recommended equally the root displace of the occupation is non identified. Later, you lot mightiness desire to update themes too plugins if updates are available. And if the effect is due to a topic or plugin inwards newer version, the occupation is soundless non resolved until the faulting topic / plugin is identified too resolved / removed.
After restoring from a backup, avoid updating themes / plugins may live on an selection until the root displace if identified.
2) FIND THE CAUSE OF THE ISSUE FROM WEBSITE ERROR LOG AND FIX THE ISSUE
White Screen of Death inwards WordPress are to a greater extent than oft than non caused yesteryear Fatal fault related to the site’s PHP or Apache. So, to a greater extent than oft than non at that spot would live on an entry inwards the fault logs.
Checking the fault log may signal the source of the fault – such equally which plugin is causing the problem. This may live on be a quicker means to discovery the root displace of the problem. The spider web hosting fellowship would convey provided a Control Panel (cPanel, Plesk, etc.) from where nosotros tin forcefulness out access the log files.
To banking concern agree the fault logs, create the following:
- Login to spider web host’s Control Panel (cPanel / Plesk etc.)
- Look for logs > too then filter for type ‘error’
- Check the log for clues
Alternative, you lot may likewise live on able to access the fault log from the spider web host’s file manager. There should live on a folder related to errors.
- Login to spider web host command panel > file manager
- Navigate to the log folder: File Manager > logs > error_log
As tin forcefulness out live on seen from the log above, at that spot is a PHP FATAL ERROR! After the faulting topic / plugin is found, disable the topic / plugin too banking concern agree the site if effect is resolved.
Now that at that spot is a clue, nosotros tin forcefulness out disable the topic too examination the website.
- If you lot are able to login equally admin, deactivate the plugin from the plugins page.
- If not, rename the faulty plugin folder to something similar “pluginname_OFF”.
In my case, since I tin forcefulness out login to the website, I deactivated the suspected plugin from the Plugins page. And for certain enough, the WordPress effect “The site is experiencing technical difficulties” is resolved.
I likewise checked the condition of the plugin from WordPress.org’s plugin page. And for certain enough, the plugin has non been updated inwards a real loooooong time.
Now that it is confirmed, I deleted the plugin from the WordPress Plugins Page. We tin forcefulness out likewise delete plugins from the Web Host’s File Manager or via FTP also.
If the features provided yesteryear the deleted plugin is soundless required, nosotros should expect for to a greater extent than or less other similar plugin to use.
3) MANUALLY CHECK THEMES AND PLUGINS TO FIND THE CAUSE OF THE ISSUE
Another means to position the faulting topic or plugin is to manually disable the existing topic or plugins ane yesteryear ane till the faulting theme or plugin is identified. This is a like shooting fish in a barrel procedure if at that spot are multiple plugins precisely nevertheless, has to live on performed systematically.
A) CHECK IF THE ISSUE IS CAUSE BY THE THEME:
• Login to spider web host command panel > file manager
• Navigate to the theme’s directory: File Manager > httpdocs / public_html > wp-content > themes
• Rename the active topic folder to something similar “themename_off”
• Access the site over again too banking concern agree if the fault is soundless there
• If resolved, the effect is yesteryear the theme.
If not, too then the effect is non yesteryear the topic precisely something else. Revert the changes made to the topic folder name.
If inwards example the effect is yesteryear the theme, too then the solution would depend on whether you lot tin forcefulness out position the displace of the occupation or if you lot tin forcefulness out become back upward from the developer. Or you lot may operate to a greater extent than or less other theme.
B) CHECK IF ISSUE IS CAUSED BY PLUGINS
After ruling out the theme, it’s fourth dimension to banking concern agree ane of the plugins is causing the problem. For this, nosotros tin forcefulness out deactivate the plugins ane yesteryear ane till nosotros encounter the effect resolved to position the faulty plugin.
To deactivate the plugins ane yesteryear one, nosotros tin forcefulness out either create it from the WordPress Plugins Page (if nosotros tin forcefulness out login to WordPress) or from the Web Host File Manager or via FTP.
If nosotros tin forcefulness out login to WordPress, too then –
- Deactivate the plugins ane yesteryear one, too encounter if the effect is recolved.
- The final plugin deactivated is in all likelihood the ane causing the issue.
If using the Web Host File Manager or FTP, too then –
- Navigate to the plugins directory: File Manager > httpdocs / public_html > wp-content > plugins
- Sort the plugins yesteryear date, latest starting fourth dimension – thus that the latest plugin installed is displayed on top
- Disable the plugin yesteryear renaming the plugin’s folder mention to something similar “pluginname_off”
- Test the site later each plugin folder is renamed to encounter if the effect is resolved
- If non resolved, repeat steps three too 4
- If resolved, the final folder renamed is in all likelihood the ane causing the issue.
- The plugin tin forcefulness out too then live on deleted if non required to keep.
- Restore all the other folder names, too recheck the site.